Re: [opensuse] Backup .. restore ... access/ownership - bit rot
On 2014-03-30 17:16, Carl Hartung wrote:
On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 16:53:11 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

:-) You forgot this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy%27s_law

LOL, yes.

In my experience, there seems to be an inverse relationship between how
critical one's data is and how long it can hang around uncorrupted and
undisturbed.

I managed to corrupt both the original and backup copies of a paper, in
different floppies, that I had to hand to my teacher for examination,
hours before the time limit. Yes, I know about Murphy...

The more important it is, the more frequently you should
be backing it up. IOW, frequent and redundant backups -- serving both
archival and operational needs -- is for all practical purposes the
only defense.

The first link explains an interesting feature of btrfs native raid,
however it is called. It can automatically repair a file with errors.
Traditional raid can not.

I'd like a similar repair capability self contained in normal files,
without the need for raid type structures (double or triple hardware).
Just with "forward recovery data" could work. At least on (long term)
backups.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >