Re: [opensuse] Backup .. restore ... access/ownership - bit rot
On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 16:53:11 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2014-03-30 16:42, James Knott wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:
When copying to an empty partition, rsync provides no advantage
over cp -a.
It does.

It can verify the copy, or retake an interrupted transfer.

Given that we're normally copying to a directly attached drive, how
often do those problems show up? How is copying any different than
any other write in this regard. There are already error
detection/correction methods in use. Even when copying over a
network, there are mechanisms in TCP & Ethernet to detect & correct
errors.

Which fail.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/01/bitrot-and-atomic-cows-inside-next-gen-filesystems/#image-2

www.streamscale.com/media/pdf_folder/CERN_Data_Corruption.pdf

http://research.google.com/archive/disk_failures.pdf

:-) You forgot this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy%27s_law

In my experience, there seems to be an inverse relationship between how
critical one's data is and how long it can hang around uncorrupted and
undisturbed. The more important it is, the more frequently you should
be backing it up. IOW, frequent and redundant backups -- serving both
archival and operational needs -- is for all practical purposes the
only defense.