Re: [opensuse] Backup .. restore ... access/ownership
On 2014-03-30 14:30, James Knott wrote:

This is getting all too complex. Mebe we should go back to 9 track
tapes and use tar the way it was intended. ;-)

Wait till you get a scratch on that tape. If you used compressed tar,
the entire tape is useless.

I just back up to a hard drive with cp -a, which works fine. The
attributes are preserved and I can easily mount the drive to access all
the files.

And then you can get a transmission error, and one file gets a corrupted
byte. On some type of files, like a jpeg photo, it is almost destroyed.

Have a look at this link, there is an example of what happens when a
single bit (bit, not even byte) changes in a jpeg.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/01/bitrot-and-atomic-cows-inside-next-gen-filesystems/

For doing backups, you have to compare source with copy after done. At
least, a checksum compare.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >