Re: [opensuse] Backup .. restore ... access/ownership
* Anton Aylward <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [03-29-14 07:48]:
On 03/28/2014 10:28 PM, Carl Hartung wrote:
[...]
First, I don't think the original filesystem type is at play. I think
the backup media being ROM is what caused the files to be marked
read-only as they were written.

I'm compelled by the evidence to agree with you on this point.

Second, I think if you'd mounted the DVDs so they were owned by you
(e.g. anton.users) instead of by root (root.root) your files would have
inherited that ownership as they were being read.

When I tried doing "mount /dev/sr0 /mnt/dvd" I got the message
"Only root can do that".

Resistance is futile!

In *this* instance, "only root can do that", but you are free, depending
on mount permissions, to access/read/write/execute as <user>. Resistance
noted is *security* :^)

Oh, yes, I did run the rsync extract as "anton" and got unreadable errors since the DVD was mounted as root and all the files were, as I said, root.root. Some were r-------- of course since they had originally been "anton.users rw-------", (or in a couple of cases "dovecot.mail rw-r-----") But, as I said, this all got flattened to read only.

--
Perhaps I am a dinosaur, but if I saw the word "hacker" used positively on a resume, I would have trouble continuing. Hacking means using "quick and dirty" means to achieve an objective without concern for "collateral damage" and is totally opposite to my philosophy of "first, do no harm".
-- Pagett Peterson, Wednesday, January 18, 2006