Re: [opensuse] Backup .. restore ... access/ownership
On Sat, 29 Mar 2014 04:01:56 +0100
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2014-03-29 03:44, Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:
On 03/28/2014 10:28 PM, Carl Hartung pecked at the keyboard and
wrote:

I agree with Carl, if you did your backup on a file by file basis
that you have lost all of the file attributes. I always create a
tar file of the filesystem and then backup the tar file to DVD,
that way you don't lose the attributes.

Wait. You can keep all Linux filesystem attributes on a cdrom, if you
use the appropriate options.

You need to activate the Rock Ridge extensions, not Joliet (or both).

Ah, of course ... thanks for reminding us, Carlos. It's been several
years since I last did any serious backups to CD/DVD so I guess I'd
forgotten. That being said, I seem to recall also compressing first to
reduce the number of disks I was burning and this, coincidentally, also
served to preserve the attributes.