Re: [opensuse] Backup .. restore ... access/ownership
On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 21:28:00 -0400
Anton Aylward wrote:

OUCH! For some reason everything seemed to be r--r--r-- root.root

I'd burnt the DVDs with K3B. Is this some side effect of putting a
reiserFS on a DVD using K3B in data mode? Or what?

Hi Anton,

You've asked for thoughts, so... I think there are two separate
'gotchas' here.

First, I don't think the original filesystem type is at play. I think
the backup media being ROM is what caused the files to be marked
read-only as they were written.

Second, I think if you'd mounted the DVDs so they were owned by you
(e.g. anton.users) instead of by root (root.root) your files would have
inherited that ownership as they were being read.

Third, I think if I were backing up to DVD, I'd first compress the
source directories into a tarball to preserve the original attributes.

I could be wrong, but these are my initial thoughts... hth & YMMV etc.
etc.

regards,

Carl