Re: [opensuse] zypper DownloadAsNeeded option (was : zypper dup and free space)
On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 11:20:21AM +0100, Dsant wrote:
On 03/25/2014 03:13 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
I have many installations with limited free space on /. With Fedora this
happens to me a lot. It never happens with openSUSE, because I have this
in /etc/zypp/zypp.conf:

commit.downloadMode = DownloadAsNeeded

Change yours, or use the corresponding cmdline option, and try again.

Wonderful option !
2 main advantages :
- The network is used more smoothly. Instead of using 100% bandwidth and
then 0% during rpm installations.
- Most important for new users, the counter is updated during the whole
process. Before, you had a message "1990/2000 (done)" , and when you
reached the end, you had to spend about the same time for installation
steep.

Shouldn't it be the default ?

It once was the default. But there are drawbacks:

- if your network goes down while you're in the middle of a big
transaction, your system may be hosed.
- file conflict checking does not work with DownloadAsNeeded, as the
needed file information is not stored in the repository metadata.

Cheers,
Michael.

--
Michael Schroeder mls@xxxxxxx
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF Jeff Hawn, HRB 16746 AG Nuernberg