Re: [opensuse] Open SuSE 13.1 on Dell 4400
  • From: Carl Spitzer <lynux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 07:55:42 -0700

On 2014-03-22 10:43 (GMT-0700) Carl Spitzer composed:

Strange now I am trying with 11.4 I am having it freeze on install
at 70% of probing hardware search for system files.
I did a media check and the disk checks fine. I have another 11.4
system with a 512mb and the install worked there just fine so I am
wondering if the dell has a problem.

Very likely this problem:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

I found bad caps on a 4400 about last November. Time to pop it open
and look. Likely you'll see several bad ones. If you don't see any on
the motherboard, open up the power supply and look inside it. Many times
this is a
problem one can fix oneself if the hardware is worth keeping working,
but with i845 I suggest retirement. http://www.badcaps.net/

Your money is better spent elsewhere than on RAM for such an old
system. You can get a several years newer and faster Dell from
Craigslist or eBay for as little as you might pay for more RAM. e.g.
GX620
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/sys/4370632182.html

One last free test, install on other system which worked fine and move
the drive back to the dell.
BTW the wireless worked fine on the system using Knoppix 7.2.0 so the
hardware is OK on that score.
If it was the capacitors then why did Knoppix work and why did the
original OS XtraPorky work??

One last free test, install on other system which worked fine and move
the drive back to the dell.
BTW the wireless worked fine on the system using Knoppix 7.2.0 so the
hardware is OK on that score.
If it was the capacitors then why did Knoppix work and why did the
original OS XtraPorky work??

Ill try the strange machine load and see what happens. Now If I could
just go back to hda hdb etc designation UUID is a pain and not
intuitive.

--
Lynux the choice of a GNU generation

CWSIV