Re: [opensuse] Open SuSE 13.1 on Dell 4400
  • From: Carl Spitzer <lynux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 10:43:12 -0700
On Sun, 2014-03-16 at 22:24 -0300, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
El 16/03/14 19:42, Carl Spitzer escribió:

Basically I have an Engenius EUB 9603H
usb connected wireless device

This card is reported to have an RTL8188 chip..whose driver is in the
kernel "staging" section.. that usually means the driver is not yet
ready for prime time.. apparently it is maintained by Larry Finger who
is a regular on this list.

512 MB RAM is certain little for modern standards, I have serious doubts
that KDE or GNOME will perform well with that amount ..but a lightweight
DE may do the trick.
Strange now I am trying with 11.4 I am having it freeze on install at 70% of
probing hardware search for system files.
I did a media check and the disk checks fine. I have another 11.4
system with a 512mb and the install worked there just fine so I am
wondering if the dell has a problem.

there is always the other box install cheat by putting the 200G drive in
the working system and doing the install there and moving it back. If
that works the additional memory will be purchased.

The only way to know about your wifi problem is by reading the log.. so
whenever you see connection failure post the output of journalctl -k -b
as root.

first I have to get the install to work. But with 11.4 having issue on
the Dell it may be a HW issue.

--
Lynux the choice of a GNU generation

CWSIV