Re: [opensuse] Open SuSE 13.1 on Dell 4400
  • From: Carl Spitzer <lynux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 12:31:04 -0700
From: timothy.m.butterworth@xxxxxxxxx
To: opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [opensuse] Open SuSE 13.1 on Dell 4400
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 19:23:04 -0500

On Sunday, March 16, 2014 03:34:40 PM Carl Spitzer wrote:
lspci && lsusb && cat /proc/cpuinfo
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82845 845 [Brookdale] Chipset
Host Bridge (rev
04)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82845 845 [Brookdale] Chipset AGP
Bridge (rev
04)

Their is a closed source driver for your USB WiFi available on the
manufacturer website. I do not see it in openSUSE 13.1 or in OBS currently.
http://www.engeniustech.com.sg/node/277 you will need to download and install
it. You can open up a Bug Request and ask to have it packaged, it might get
packaged as part of Non-OSS if it is possible to package it!

I would contact the company and request that they create an open source driver
and submit it into the Linux Kernel.

Interesting as it works with no use of their closed driver in 11.4

You also have an NVIDIA graphics card, are you using the open source driver or
are you using the closed source driver? I do not know much about NVIDIA as I

Just whatever comes out of the install disk and have not gotten to that problem.
Might have to consider 11.4 until 13 gets the bugs out.

Also in the output from lsusb the WiFi device is not listed, after you install
the driver you may have to unplug it and then plug it back in.

I did not do the lsusb etc test with device in as the second install is crappy
especially GNOME

Are you just now migrating this from Windows XP due to the End of Support for
Windows XP?

No just trying to make a multiboot system. May have to put in another drive
and go with 11.4
until I can buy more memory.

CWSIV