Re: [opensuse] searching the journal is incredibly slow?
On 2014-03-18 14:21, Per Jessen wrote:

Okay, thanks everyone. I don't have a spare disk-slot on this system
nor the time to experiment with this, so I'll just have to live with
it :-)

There are also hybrid disks, rotating plus small ssd, in the same
enclosure. The ssd acts as a big cache of the magnetic media. I believe
these are firmware implementations, transparent to the operating system
(only one SATA port).

There is also a technology, used on some Windows laptops, combining an
SSD and HD in a similar manner (two SATA ports), but controlled by the
operating system, which can thus decide what to cache on the SSD.
Windows places there the files used for boot, for instance. I believe
everything is eventually written to the HD, too.

I never remember the proper name of this technology. I think it comes
form Intel. AFAIK we don't have the equivalent on Linux.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >