Re: [opensuse] searching the journal is incredibly slow?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 14:21:44 +0100
Cristian Rodríguez wrote:

El 18/03/14 05:35, Per Jessen escribió:
I have a journal with about 1million lines in it - going through it
page by page is fine, but trying to skip a few hundred thousand lines
or
search for e.g. /^Mar/ takes ages. Is this normal?

This is a known issue for which there is no optimum solution other
than placing the journal in an SSD drive.

The time it takes to search in the journal depends on the
fragmentation of the files, the filesystem..etc.. it is even suspected
there is a kernel bug that contributes to this, but such bug so far
has not been isolated. (afaik greg KH tried with no luck)

Okay, thanks everyone. I don't have a spare disk-slot on this system
nor the time to experiment with this, so I'll just have to live with
it :-)

Not to mention the minimum price for an SSD drive (SAS, 24/7) seem to be
about CHF700, and all models unavailable at my supplier :-(

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (17.4°C)