Re: [opensuse] Package name differences
On 03/17/2014 09:03 AM, Dylan wrote:
Hi All,

I use Makehuman (makehuman.org - a 3D human figure modeling application) which
has a Linux rpm at
http://download.tuxfamily.org/makehuman/releases/1.0.0/makehuman-1.0.0-1.noarch.rpm

The rpm requires:

PyOpenGL
PyQt4
numpy

which are provided by openSUSE as:

python-opengl
python-qt4
python-numpy

I have installed the three libraries, and used --nodeps to install the
makehuman
package. The application is fully functional, but of course this leaves the
rpm
database in an inconsistent state. I figure I can create a fake rpm which
"provides" the three packages under the names required by the makehuman rpm,
and
"requires" the three packages under their openSUSE names.

Is this a viable approach? Are there any gotchas I should be aware of? Can
anyone point me to a suitable resource to learn how to do this?

Cheers
Dylan

Dylan,

That's fine, that's what the 'Provides: pkgname' tag is for:

http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/s1-rpm-inside-tags.html

<quote>
The provides Tag

The provides tag is used to specify a virtual package that the packaged software
makes available when it is installed. Normally, this tag would be used when
different packages provide equivalent services. For example, any package that
allows a user to read mail might provide the mail-reader virtual package.
Another package that depends on a mail reader of some sort, could require the
mail-reader virtual package. It would then install without dependency problems,
if any one of several mail programs were installed. Here's what a provides tag
might look like:

Provides: mail-reader
</quote>

In your case, just modify the .spec file for (eg. python-opengl) to include:

Provides: PyOpenGL

(don't forget to at least update the Release: )

Then,

rpmbuild -v -bb python-opengl.spec

and install.

--