[opensuse] Help - rpm - error: no dbpath has been set - howto fix?
All,

I took my trusty laptop to about 10,500 ft (in Co.), and upon return, it
booted fine, I went to use yast -> network to change the wifi connection and was
prompted that wpa_supplicant, etc.. were not installed -- HUH? This is an old
11.4 box, wpa_supplicant and the rest have been installed for years. So to
check, I did the old 'rpm -q wpa_supplicant' and got:

error: no dbpath has been set
error: cannot open Packages database in /%{_dbpath}
error: no dbpath has been set
error: cannot open Packages database in /%{_dbpath}

Decided to reboot and watch the startup as this didn't make any sense...

fsck.ext3 on /dev/sda6 '/' failed and through me into recovery mode.

So, in recovery mode:

fsck -y /dev/sda6

Churns away for a minute or two and finds

..... blah.blah duplicate/unused inode for file.xyz delete? yes

<snip> about 15 more

Then fsck completes all remaining checks normally. (reboot)

Open kde3, konsole, "su" "yast2 --qt" -> network settings -> same problem,
yast doesn't see wpa_supplicant installed --> crud! So,

15:26 alchemy:~> rpm -qa
error: no dbpath has been set
error: cannot open Packages database in /%{_dbpath}
error: no dbpath has been set
error: cannot open Packages database in /%{_dbpath}

Ok, so apparently rpm lost a link/file that sets the dbpath so rpm doesn't
know what is installed and can't find it's cache. How do I fix this? I haven't
messed with the actual dbpath for rpm before -- where is it set and to what? Any
help appreciated. Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.