Re: [opensuse] Backup mailserver
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 11:37:30 +0100
Koenraad Lelong wrote:

op 13-03-14 10:18, Per Jessen schreef:
Koenraad Lelong wrote:

Hi,

My internet connection at home is broken.
I was trying to set up a backup mailserver at work.

A backup mailserver is most often superfluous. Any mailserver trying
to contact your home mailserver will retry, usually up to 5 days
before returning a mail as undeliverable.

I know this, but to be sure ...

Your backup server at work should be configured to only try to
deliver to your home-server, not to use the MX. In postfix, you can
do this with a transport map for instance.

Like I said, the mailserver at work, and at home, has to use the ISP's
relay server. That's because outgoing port 25 is blocked in the
"domain" of the ISP. With domain I mean all IP's from the ISP's. On
one side I can understand, this limits the effects of "bots" sending
from those IP's. But for me, at this moment, it's a pain.

Ah, I see, I missed that earlier, sorry. Perhaps use port 587 on your
home mailserver and have your backup server send the mails to that?

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (9.9°C)