Re: [opensuse] printer suddenly disappears ??
On 03/12/2014 07:20 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Billie Walsh wrote:

On 03/12/2014 05:43 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Per Jessen wrote:

Marcus Meissner wrote:

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 11:26:34AM +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
I was printing some stuff from okular just now, when my printers
suddenly disappeared and I was left with "print to pdf" or "print
postcript" only. Same thing in firefox. I restarted cupsd client
and server, and I've checked that the printers are being
broadcast.

I guess I could restarting the machine too, but what happened to
my printers??
Was the cups update we released yesterday installed in the
background?
No, I haven't updated this machine for a week or so.

Did it repopulate the list after some time?
No, I waited around for long enough while I was trying to figure
where
the printer had gone. Looking at other systems, they have no
problems finding the printers :-)
"lpstat -a" on the faulty system shows nothing, on others:

lpstat -a
BESR-printer accepting requests since Sat 01 Feb 2014 13:21:44 CET
Kyocera accepting requests since Sat 01 Feb 2014 13:21:42 CET
Kyocera2 accepting requests since Sat 01 Feb 2014 13:21:43 CET

I've had issues with a network printer that for any reason gets a new
address on the network at odd times [ power flick, or just a network
fart ]. It supposedly always gets the same address but..............
I have to go into cups and reconnect the "new" printer.
That's not the case here - a) the printers have static DHCP allocations
and b) the printers work on other systems.

Question - other than rebooting, how would I "re-connect" these printers
to the client? It seems a bit extreme having to reboot to re-acquire
the printers :-)

For whatever reason it is only my Linux installations that have this issue. The other halfs Windows computers never have the issue.

I just open cups and reinstall the printer .

--

A cat is a puzzle with no solution.

Cats are tiny little women in fur coats.

When you get all full of yourself try giving orders to a cat.