Re: [opensuse] Something wrong with the opensuse repos?
On 07/03/14 00:49, Alvin Beach wrote:
On 06/03/14 09:44, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 07/03/14 00:28, Alvin Beach wrote:
On 06/03/14 08:58, Basil Chupin wrote:
All day I am getting a download speed of around the dial-up speed (54KB/s) and as
low as 0B/s and not my normal speed of >450KB/s.

Is there something wrong with the oS server or do I go chasing my ISP for
answers? Download speed for my connections with other sites (in Australia
and UK) are pretty much normal.

BC

Same here in Canada. May just be a hiccup?
Could be, but see Patrick's response.

(If it is a hiccup then the hiccup is lasting a verrrryyy long time! I started
my 'zypper up' early this morning but stopped the whole sheebang
because of the slow speed. I resumed some 13 hours later and saw no difference
in speed..)

BC

I thought it was an issue with the Build Service, but I think the repo URLs are
just redirected to the closest mirror. I believe my closest mirror is
a one of the local Universities, which is likely different from the mirror you
would be using.

If this is still the case, I'm not sure what could be causing the slow down.
Perhaps the Intertubes are congested? ;)

Perhaps there is some zypper command that can be issued to find out which
mirror a repository is being redirected?

The last idea would be helpful in some ways but of more help would be an automatic redirection when (?)zypper/Yast recognises that the thru-put is rubbish (which would happen if the server is stressed).

BC

--
A civilisation is judged by how it treats the most vulnerable.

Lauren Smith - 30 January 2014