Re: [opensuse] Blank Screen
On 07/03/14 10:51, Paul Groves wrote:
I have a lenovo thinkpad x201 tablet and when I shut down, about 50% of the
time i turn the laptop back on, bios shows, grub shows and then boots to
opensuse but my screen is blank.

The backlight is on as i can control the brightness but there is no image in
the screen. I can log in by typing my password and I hear the KDE login sound
but still no display,

When it does decide to show it will work fine if I sleep hibernate or reboot
but if I shut down it will have a blank screen again on most boots.

I took out the battery for 24 hours, reset the BIOS and formatted the hard
disk. I reinstalled with a clean copy of 13.1 but this makes no difference.

I have a Lenovo (not same model though) and do not suffer the above (but I also never let it sleep or hibernate).

I am wondering which graphics card/chip you have? And which kernel are you running? I am running the lastest kernel from ......Kernel:/stable:/standard - 3.13.5-2 - which *may* already have the ability to handle the NVIDIA NVS 5400M chip (if this is what you do have in the Thinkpad). There was a discussion about this when I asked for comments about the Thinkpad I was about to purchase (end of last November I think) but have forgotten all the details and advice I received.

BC

--
A civilisation is judged by how it treats the most vulnerable.

Lauren Smith - 30 January 2014