Re: [opensuse] Multilingual options, for editing and web site creation
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 18:14:02 +0100
Ted Byers wrote:

Thanks for this,

See inline:

On 14-03-05 02:54 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Ted Byers wrote:

I am familiar with the notion of a code page, in creating web
content, but I could use some guidance on what is needed in order to
be able to handle multiple languages, and the peculiarities of their
various scripts, on a single machine (with a US style keyboard).
Write everything in UTF8 (assuming that will cover the languages you
are interested in), and change your keyboard mapping according to
which
language you're writing. With Arabic, you may have a directional
issue, afaik, Arabic is written right-to-left.

Is there a key combination that lets me dynamically change from one
keyboard mapping to another? And is there documentation somewhere
that tells me what that mapping is in the case where the script
includes characters and accents that do not exist on my keyboard?

The mapping is definitely documented, google will find them for you.

The second thing I need is a way to have multilingual content on the
same website, giving a visitor the ability to read both the English
and the translation of it (side by side or inter-lineal), so he or
she can check the quality of the translation (and perhaps give me
suggestions to help me improve my understanding of the languages I
am trying to learn. I have reached out to the Wordpress forum about
this, but it is low traffic and there has been no response yet.
Use iframes - e.g. two frames side by side. The left pulls the
original document, the right one the translation.

I am guessing that I will probably have to write my own plugin(s) to
both display and edit my content, to do all I require, perhaps
extending WordPress' existing editor.

Writing your own would be re-inventing the wheel, there's plenty of
in-browser editors out there if that's what you want. Personally I
wouldn't take that approach, I would just use vi.

I wonder if such an editor can dynamically change the keyboard mapping
based on the language of the document displayed in the current editor
window when that window received focus?

Almost certainly not.

And, I guess I may have to experiment with loading free online
english-'other language' dictionaries and grammars in iframes. But,
don't some sites include code that prevents their pages from being
loaded in an iframe (to protect copyrighted material)?

Yes they do.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (8.5°C)