Re: [opensuse] Why I hate updating ....
On 2014-03-02 17:51, Per Jessen wrote:

Hmm, I'm not sure I quite get that - Greg says above "zypper patch pulls
exclusively updates from the official update repos only.". As I
mentioned, I generally only use the official repos anyway, so what
would I use "zypper up" for?

Let me try.

"zypper patch", or "yast online update", pulls updates only from
repositories marked as "updates", which for most people mean the
repo-update and the repo-update-non-oss, which are the only two official
update channels.

However, there are other Build Service repositories that do have an
update repo of their own. It is up to the particular repo to have that
update channel or not. If they exist, and you have those active, a
zypper patch will also pull updates from those, non-official, repos.
There are very few such repos (for instance: Akoellh has one).

Those are an exception.

So, normally, using only "zypper patch" or "yast online update" you are
safer. However, if you use any other repo, such as "packman", as many
people do, the only way to get security updates for those package from
those is doing a "zypper up", or in yast select "update to a newer
version if they exist". It is up to the people maintaining those repos
what those updates will do... they can be security updates only, but
typically you also get version updates. When a package is updated to a
newer version, you get solved bugs and new bugs...

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >