Re: [opensuse] Why I hate updating ....
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2014 12:41:06 -0500
On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 12:37 PM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 10:53 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Greg Freemyer wrote:

Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I still can't login though - my password is accepted, but then I'm
fairly promptly returned to the login screen. It seems that I ought
to continue with another "zypper up", but is that the best/correct
approach?

Per,

You keep saying "zypper up"

Yes, I am updating a 12.3 system. My $SUBJ should have said "updating",
not "upgrading".

In that case, zypper patch pulls exclusively updates from the official
update repos only.
It is a safer option than zypper up which can pull from any of the
configured repos, and as such is more dangerous.

I sent that to fast. I meant to add that the repos "zypper patch" can
pull is only those found at:

<http://download.opensuse.org/update/>

which you can see is just the official update repos that the opensuse
support team maintains.

Greg