Re: [opensuse] xinetd logs go to the wrong place
On 2014-03-01 16:04, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 01/03/14 08:53 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

I have in /etc/xinetd.conf this line:

log_type = FILE /var/log/xinetd.log

But entries are going to syslog instead:
[....]

Is this a bug?

My read of the man page is that the settings are for each service.
The way I had things set up was to have each service in a separate file
and then be included. See the "includedir" entry in the man page.

You don't say what service*S* you have this applied to.

ALL.

It is a global configuration, in "/etc/xinetd.conf". I simply removed
the comment mark in the line, which came from the distribution. If it
comes with the distributed package, the line has to be correct, I should
not need to read the documentation for that.

I do note that the man page says

<quote>
The configuration file may also contain a single defaults entry that has
the form

defaults
{
}

Well, it is inside the defaults section:

defaults
{
# The next two items are intended to be a quick access place to
# temporarily enable or disable services.
#
# enabled =
# disabled =

# Previous default in SUSE - please don't forget to use the logrotate. The
# sample configuration is in /usr/share/packages/doc/xinetd/logrotate
log_type = FILE /var/log/xinetd.log

}

includedir /etc/xinetd.d

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)