Re: [opensuse] Why I hate upgrading ....

Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Felix Miata wrote:

On 2014-03-01 09:08 (GMT+0100) Per Jessen composed:

I have now recovered the laptop to a point where it boots and gets
me
the X login screen. I cannot login via X, but I have access via a
console. Any hints on how to resume the upgrade in a safe manner?

(only tested on well working 13.1)
# zypper verify
Reading installed packages...

Dependencies of all installed packages are satisfied.

Okay, I ran "zypper verify" which reported some gtk3 packages to
install, which I accepted. A 2nd "zypper verify" reported everything
ok.

I still can't login though - my password is accepted, but then I'm
fairly promptly returned to the login screen. It seems that I ought to
continue with another "zypper up", but is that the best/correct
approach?

Per,

You keep saying "zypper up"

I assume you know the only tested/supported process is:

From 12.3:

Zypper patch / zypper up
Remove all repos except oss, oss-update, non-free, non-free-update
Modify those 4 to point to 13.1 equivalents
Zypper dup
Verify upgrade works
re-enable alternate repos as 13.1 based and install any alternate packages you
use/require

Dup knows it is doing a distribution upgrade and does some things zypper up
does not. Did you follow a process like the above?

Greg