Re: [opensuse] Restore filesystem without losing data?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 21:32:05 +0100
Stephen Berman wrote:

An external hard disk of mine became corrupted, and in an effort to
save the data on it I dd'd it to another hard disk. Both disks were
formatted in Yast (openSUSE 13.1) with a single ext4 partition. But
after using dd, now the filesystem is gone from the second disk,

Yes, you've created a copy of the corrupted disk.

though otherwise the partition table appears to be intact, and cat and
grep show at least some of the data. I had run `e2fsck -b 32768 -c'
on the first disk when the problem first appeared (it was
unmountable), but that seemed to make things worse, so I'm reluctant
to try it on the second disk, unless someone convinces me I used it
wrong and tells me the right way. Or is there another way to restore
the filesystem without losing the data?

Not unless you have a backup copy of the data that has become corrupted.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (1.1°C)