Re: [opensuse] Re: Temp directories NOT cleared at boot (oS13.1)
On 27/01/14 00:04, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2014-01-26 23:50, Peter wrote:
Does it make any difference in your opinion to have /tmp on a separate
partition on an SSD rather than lumping everything in with / ?

Having it all on the same partition spreads writes over the disk,
instead of concentrating them on a smaller area. So yes, a single
partition for all is better in that respect. IMO.

I can see the logic in that. I've never had a separate /tmp previously so I'll just go with my usual setup.

On 27/01/14 02:55, Anton Aylward wrote:>
> I don't know how modern that laptop is.
> Having only 4G seems small to me.
> But using memory for /tmp *is* an option.

The laptop is of 2008 vintage, which will doubtless seem very old to some folks but this is a recent upgrade from my nine-year-old predecessor, and aside from the slow HDD it is a very noticeable improvement for me that generally surpasses my own particular needs. So 4G RAM is already 4x what I had on my old machine!

> Linux can do some marvellous things. Not only can you do tricks with
> mounts - rbind - but also with the overlayFS.
>
> Having a separate /tmp you can mount it with noexec,nosuid, nodev
> options. That too is manages risk.
>
> If I were you and if it were possible, I'd work out a way so that when
> you are at the docking station the HD is used as /tmp.
>
> It may be as simple as a 'mount'. If the mount fails 'cos you are
> 'elsewhere' then the /tmp that was the mount point is used.

I toyed with this concept, not knowing how on Earth I would actually go about it, but I fear nasty repercussions. How would the system cope, when undocking it, with a load of temp files it thinks are available in a certain location no longer being there? It's not practical to have to sync everything back onto the SSD at those times, and I'm not convinced that it will capably respawn temp files as necessary. One of the reasons I'm doing this upgrade now is because I need to do a fresh install after screwing the machine up deleting everything in my /tmp a few weeks ago, following a moment where it had mysteriously filled / to the brim and no process seemed to want to do anything about it. Since I did that, I've had a multitude of problems.

The laptop often refuses to suspend to RAM, or shutdown / restart / logout. Only when I have clicked a couple of times on Kickoff, brought up system activity with Ctrl-Esc and so on, after a long delay, does the logout / shutdown dialog appear. Sometimes apps like Dolphin or Kate take a minute to open. It's not like the HD's grinding away, it's dormant, but it seems like I deleted some cached file that governed these processes and which has never respawned properly.

All the previous discussion about how openSUSE doesn't follow the systemd upstream defaults of clearing /tmp on boot, makes me think that until this distro resolves these issues I don't really want to start messing again with temp files by moving or deleting them, or interfering in any other way. From my perspective, the current setup is busted, because I've noticed an accumulation of temp files on a couple of other openSUSE 12.3 systems that can suddenly fill up /, and neither reboots nor the supposed systemd process that took over from sysconfig/cron for cleaning temp seems to have any effect. On my parents' machine, for example, I created a root partition of about 14GB of which about 6GB is filled after system installation, and a separate /home. Since they're in another country and I don't have remote administration set up, when I return I find their root partition is full. All they do is surf the web and check emails. This is just a bad distro default, IMO. It shouldn't ever happen.

> Question: Are you using a separate partition for /home?
> What about /usr/local?

I always have /home separate, and /boot too. But that's as far as I go usually. My new SSD isn't huge, only 120GB. I'll be keeping a lot of personal files like music / images on portable USB-attached drives for portability to other (also v. old) machines. So splitting the root partition further isn't great as I'm not the best judge of how much space to allocate and which might then go wasted. From that perspective it's probably better to just have a larger /.