[opensuse] Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: service ntp
Carlos E. R. wrote:
That is more complicated than the old sysconfig method in YaST. No
manual reading was required. It even seems less configurable (users to
skip).

I have seen several posts referring people to documentation about how to
configure tmp dir clearing, the old sysconfig way - which of course,
does not work. The variables in "/etc/sysconfig/cron" still exist, and
there is no mention in the config files that they do not work. So people
try them.

I have noticed there have been several changes, over the past couple of
years, that break things but are not mentioned. As you mentioned, the
new method is often inferior to the old. Then we get to problems that
have come in with 12.x, some of which are still with us. For example, I
now experiences periods of a few minutes, where my disk drive is very
busy and the computer is unresponsive to keyboard and mouse. There's
also XDMCP which last worked with 11.4. I don't have a problem with
change, provided it actually improves something. It's shouldn't break
anything, unless well document with the new procedure. Change because
someone thinks something is "cool" cannot be justified, when it all too
often causes more problems than it supposedly fixes. Last I checked,
Dovecot and Apparmor, is but one example of something that remains
broken. Lets not forget, many people use openSUSE in a business
environment, where things breaking is not acceptable.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!