Re: [opensuse] Re: Temp directories NOT cleared at boot (oS13.1)
On 01/25/2014 11:44 PM, Linda Walsh wrote:
Mine hasn't been on the root partition for about 10 years.

I didn't want to destabilize root by having alot of r/w activity
on the root partition, so my /tmp 'really' on my /var partition --
that was named for it's 'variable' state. mounting
/var and using "rbind" to mount a dir one /tmp, is an early
step.

There are and there have been in the past many good reasons to have /tmp treated differently.

* once there was a vulnerability which could simply be mitigated by having /tmp on a separate partition. maybe that will recur.

* some applications such a the C/C++ development cycle creates a lot of transient activity on /tmp with the intermediate files of the compile process. having /tmp on a separate spindle offers a parallelism that helps here.

* in the limiting case of the above a tmpfs /tmp would make that even faster, but many applications want the memory.

* Mike Tilson once developed a FS overlay that he used for /tmp which images part of the FS, the inodes and root directory, into memory in a way similar to a tmpfs. This was on 'development' machines and was a very successful accelerator.

* one of the problems of DOS/Windows is that can't make the root 'read only' since it needs activity. Yes you can create a D: partition and move the swap file off C: but it still needs to have C: writeable. Not so for Linux. You can set it up, assuming you aren't doing upgrades, with the root partition READ-ONLY. Yes you need to migrate other things off the root partition and perhaps set symlinks (heck, there are a lot under /etc/ anyway!) and rbind. Having binaries and libraries RO is a great defence against hackers and malware.

* partitioning is just that. it can also put a cap on abuses and mistakes. As has been pointed out with today's large disks, having a very large /tmp partition isn't a problem, but there is no need to make your whole system one files system[1].

[1] That being said, I do have a system where its all one partition - an experimental system running BtrFS, but that's also on an old 20G drive.

--
Whenever men take the law into their own hands, the loser is the law. And when the law loses, freedom languishes.
-- JFK