Re: [opensuse] Photo editing software on Linux - new option?
On 26/01/14 16:39, C wrote:
On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 6:19 AM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Fred (Miller) uses GIMP exclusively to produce some fantastic works (I have
seen some of them) but what is being stated above indicates that GIMP is
unable to handle 'your' needs?

Is it because it is assumed that Darktable works on 'NEGATIVES' while Gimp
works best on final IMAGES?

(But why should that be? - afteral Gimp can do marvellous and spectacular
editing/manipulations of images produced from terrible original 'negatives',
which in this age of digital photography no longer exist and one is
therefore editing/manipulating the 'final' image when viewing a
RAW/jpeg/whatever image from the digital camera.)
Gimp is good, and I do use it, but you have to convert the RAW to
something Gimp can work with. The UFRaw plugin, and UFRaw itself has
never worked properly for me - either being uninstallable on 64-bit,
or simply failing to do what it is supposed to do once I did get it
installed.

Gimp works directly on the image itself, and all edits are
"destructive" whereas the dark room type processing that applications
like Lightroom, DarkTable and AfterShot can do is non-destructive
editing, working with the RAW files, and using an additional XML file
to contain the edits/changes to the original RAW (the original image
remains unchanged).

Doing the same work with Gimp IS possible, but it's a LOT more time
consuming and requires a much higher level of skill and knowledge. If
you look at an application like DarkTable, you can quickly pull the
contrast on a muddy photo, increase the blue in a sky, and tweak the
white balance.

It's about using the right tool for the job you want to do.

C.

OK, I accept this - but Fred has told me many times that if one forgets about all the other fang-dangled, "you-beaut", apps and get to know Gimp then you become 'The Master of the Universe'. Afteral, Photoshop came from Gimp.

BTW, as it so happens I had to take some photos a few minutes ago of a couple of handbags my wife bought (ahem, that is which 'I' bought :-) ) for her birthday today (she wants to send the pics to some of her friends) and I used DigiKam to transfer the photos onto the HDD.

Not that I was importing RAW pics but did you know that DigiKam has the ability to automatically adjust RAW pics, or leave them in original state, when importing them to HDD?

DAMMIT! Why did this thread have to come up! Now I getting that strong urge to get back into photography and the desire to get my hands on the Canon EOS 5D Mark III (to replace my couple of A1s). I need to stop reading posts about photography :-)

BC

--
Using openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4.12.1 & kernel 3.13.0-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor