Re: [opensuse] CUPS problems

2014-01-25 02:53, jdebert skrev:
Ulf Sassenberg:
Have other SUSE users noticed any problems?

Not sure if this is related.

And you did say "any problems". :)

Since at least opensuse 11.3 and cups 1.5.4 it does not properly add
local printers.

When looking for printer drivers, it returns only "Success" and no path
or other information for a ppd.

Tried this with several HP and Epson printers and the result is always
the same. YaST2 and hplip also fail with the same result. looks like
they both use cups to find the ppd's. However, manually adding the paths
to the ppd's to the cups config works.

cups 1.3.x (Pre Apple) does return the correct ppd's for the printers,
not "Success".

jd

Yes you are of course right that there are other non SUSE specific problems. In my case I do get addresses to suggested model specific ppds. But the hpijs one is unable to print landscape and the cups version does not work at all (I only get parts of pages in spite of correct page settings). The solution here is to chose another more general cups driver and ppd. So far it seems to be ok. Previously I did not have this latter problem. (In some cases with other printers I have had to extract the ppds from window drivers)
Ulf