[opensuse] Re: Where does LVM Info live
  • From: Joachim Schrod <jschrod@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 23:28:39 +0100
On 01/21/14 13:03, Dave Howorth wrote:
Joachim Schrod wrote:
On 01/20/14 18:20, Dave Howorth wrote:
Yeah, is why I always keep the root and boot as non-RAID, non-LVM :(

I understand why you don't want to use LVM for them.

I don't understand why you do not want to use RAID.

Probably unjustified paranoia. I worry about not being able to boot
because of errors during update or upgrade. I've read too many threads
about issues with RAID and booting. I do use it for all my data and
separately for the backups.

If you're that paranoid, you can use 0.9-style metadata that is
placed at the end of the partition. Then the partition can always
be accessed as standard ext[234] filesystem during boot. Doing so
outside of read-only mounts breaks mirroring, of course; but you
may sleep better knowing that you can access these partitions
without RAID software.

So I just keep an offline mirror of the root disk. When there's a
problem, I just plug that into the root position.

Interesting. How do you organize updates then? I mean, every few
days new packages come in that change the root disk. Do you mirror
these changes to your offline disk regularly?

Joachim