[opensuse] Re: Where does LVM Info live
  • From: Joachim Schrod <jschrod@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 23:23:39 +0100
On 01/21/14 03:49, Anton Aylward wrote:
This leads me to think that it might be useful to have a small,
possibly SSD, disk for 'the system' to boot from and to hold the
log file, and use the "mirrored" system for "data"

I asked especially why Dave didn't use RAID for his system disk.

That RAID+LVM is a good choice for data file systems, is unquestioned.

Well, except: When your data set is so large that you have daily
disk failures, or even ones every few hour (as some of my customers
have); all this advice is mood, of course. Then you probably use
NetApp or EMC, and have system management people roaming your data
center once a day with a cart full of replacement disks as part of
their regular job tasks. It's part of my job to plan such
processes, but in our own shop I don't need it.

In this thread I'm talking about developer desktops or small
servers in SOHO environments.

Joachim