[opensuse] Re: Where does LVM Info live
  • From: Joachim Schrod <jschrod@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 01:40:36 +0100
On 01/20/14 18:20, Dave Howorth wrote:
Anton Aylward wrote:
On 01/20/2014 11:45 AM, Dave Howorth wrote:
lvm usually keeps backup info in /etc/lvm/backup and /etc/lvm/archive
(depending on the configuration)

If I could read that much of the disk I'd be well ahead!

Yeah, is why I always keep the root and boot as non-RAID, non-LVM :(

I understand why you don't want to use LVM for them.

I don't understand why you do not want to use RAID.

Using (Software) RAID-1 on all my disks was several times the
reason that I could continue my work and prepare for disk exchange
at leisure, instead of stumbling into re-imaging new disks and
missing project dates. I couldn't imagine to live without it. Disks
are cheap, my work time is expensive.

I refrain from using hardware RAID, though, since I had problems in
migrating RAID disks to a new system in case of fan or power supply
unit failure. With software RAID, it worked all the time.

In addition, RAID gives nice possibilities for installing new SUSE
versions instead of inline upgrades with no backup possibility.
Just split the mirror (living for a few days without protection,
usually I check smartctl first and look also for the raw numbers
:-)) and install the new distribution on the 2nd disk. Fix the
fallout from Puppet configuration, for changed ways to do
configuration. Fallback is always available on the 1st disk --
after the new distribution works they are re-attached to the mirror
again.

Joachim