Re: [opensuse] Where does LVM Info live
  • From: Ken Schneider - openSUSE <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 12:09:54 -0500
On 01/20/2014 10:56 AM, Anton Aylward pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
Trying to recover a crashed disk....

I was under the impression that using LVM tools like 'pvscan' and
'lvscan' could find the LVM partitions, if you could get past the first
few sectors/cylinders of the disk. That is the volume groups info was
'out there' regardless of the tables manipulated by fdisk.

I'm having trouble doing the latter, outer cylinder may be corrupted.

Ideas?

Remember people that LVM is for controlling the size of partitions NOT for providing RAID like protection. If a disk crashes you can/will lose all of your data. If you want both you need to start with RAID first then create your LVM partitions on the RAID device.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998