Re: [opensuse] Where does LVM Info live
On 01/20/2014 11:33 AM, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
В Mon, 20 Jan 2014 11:25:18 -0500
Anton Aylward <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> пишет:

On 01/20/2014 11:13 AM, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
PV label is located withing first 4K on device (whole disk or
partition), usually second sector.
OUCH
If partition table was corrupted, PV
will not be found. You could search the whole disk for PV label header
LABELONE.
Is that a literal string?

Yes

Thank you.

What about the LVM partitions?

I'm not sure what you call "LVM partitions". PV or LV?

The whole disk is, apart from a boot and swap partition defined using fdisk when I initialized the disk, one big LVM. Only the one "PV".
I have lots of LVs, about 20+ of them. Separated out out 'documents', 'downloads', photos' (by year), various projects, email archives and more.

I was under the impression that they each had their own LV information
somewhere - that was what lvscan looked for - and this would be enough
information to 'recover' the LV/partition.

LVM tools work with PV. If there is no PV, nothing will be found. Does
pvscan output anything?

The trouble is that everything stops 'cos it can't read the first few cylinders. Right now I'm trying to determine if this is electronics, head motor, or if the disk is gouged.

Any hints are welcomed.

--
"Security is a chain within the infrastructure and is as secure as its weakest link. It is not a product nor a series of technologies but a process of solutions measured against the business needs of the organization." -- Walter S. Kobus, Jr., CISM CISSP IAM