Re: [opensuse] xen @ 13.1
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 09:46:35 +0100
Hans Witvliet wrote:

On Mon, 2014-01-20 at 08:51 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
Hans Witvliet wrote:

Hi all,

Are there any known issues with 13.1 as a DOM0 ?
Specifically, regarding network ...

I have not yet tried 13.1 with xen, but with 12.3 there were(are?)
definite network issues. Specifically I had issues with icmp
redirect
(now solved) and ipip networking (not solved, afaik). I would not be
surprised if there are more lurking issues with e.g. vlans and
bridging (just the kind of stuff that gets very little
testing/attention).

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (0.0°C)

Hi Per,

Been using XEN for ages, but my latest DOM0 were on 12.1 and 12.2 and

Hi Hans

Same here, 12.1 and 12.2 with no issues. That's what I have running in
production.

While those machines are running without any problem, there's no
need to upgrade to the latest version (like i often do for the
clients)

Right.

The message i got when trying to build it from yast was:
"Error Failed to start the vm, Details:
Error, device0 (VIF) could not be connected.
Hotplug scripts are not working"

Regarding the vif-thing, i wonder if that might have something to do
with the ###### new-names, the network devices got since 13.1. Having
said that, bridge br0 is up-and-working and eth en!@#$%^ device are
connected to them, and dom0 traffic goes through them.

I would not be surprised if the new NIC naming scheme is causing issues,
but it is easily verified, you can rename the devices with yast.

One more annoying thing with the new naming scheme - when I run tcpdump
I have to cut&paste the device name (because it's always different on
different hardware), it was much faster just typing 'ethx'. I'm still
debating whether to just rename to ethx whenever I migrate to 13.1.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (0.0°C)