Re: [opensuse] apache log full of wpad.dat
* Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [01-19-14 15:37]:
Patrick Shanahan wrote:
[...]
not enough info :^)

fails to exclude wpad.dat entries in log, doesn't cause web server to
fail.

Okay, then it has to be the regex in setenvif.

possibly, and I will try.

Bernhard Voelker suggested earlier today:

<quote>
Apart from just suppressing the log entries, I'd try to solve the
reason of the problem: The above host seems to think that the hostname
"wpad" resolves to your Apache host's IP.

Run "ping wpad" on that host to verify that.

The reason in turn might be a static entry in the hosts file (IIRC on
Windows c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts)m or a strange DNS issue.
</quote>

On the two "challenged" boxes on my local net, win7 & win8, I have edited
host to:
8.8.8.8 wpad ##direct wpad.dat to an outside source

thinking that this way I will get no log entries for errors or successful
accesses on my system and the function of wpad will still succeed. I have
seen no wpad.dat log entries since, ~90 minutes.

"127.0.0.1 wpad" still provides failed access entries and ?could? cause
dns problems on windoz ??

Is this solution viable and not a problem or am I causing problems
somewhere else and need to change.

When satisfied that this is kosher and ?legal?, I will remove the host
redirection and attempt the local log regex solution.

Is my thought process correct?

tks Bernhard & Per