Re: [opensuse] windows 98 emulation
On 2014-01-17 18:16, Istvan Gabor wrote:
"Carlos E. R." <> írta:

I have installed vmware player linux 64 bit version 6.01.
The installation was very smooth and fast.

There was one problem: I could not make sound work.
According to the manual I have to download a driver for a Sound Blaster PCI
128 card.

I have a Windows Me (which is similar to W98, I think) installed under
vmplayer. Sound works. The sound card is "Creative AudioPCI (ES1371,
ES1373) (WDM)", and the controller is provided by Microsoft.

The drivers are:

es1371mp.sys
vmm32.vxd
mmdevldr.vxd

The hardware is related to vmware, not to the windows version.
The hardware emulated by vmware depends on version, and it can be
adjusted - although this setting is hidden.

It is controlled by the file "YourVirtualMachineName.vmx", this setting:

config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "7"

Several of my virtual machines have the same setting. I have two msdos
machines with:

config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "4"

I have more modern machines using:

config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "8"

and even more modern with:

config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "9"

I don't have any machine created with vmware player 6 yet, I don't know
what number it creates.

The idea is that you can change that number, decreasing it, and the
emulated hardware will have "older" features, so that Windows 98 will be
happier. I suggest you try «virtualHW.version = "7"» and start Windows,
or perhaps better install it again. If you start Windows after you
change that number, it starts finding new hardware and you have that
typical nightmare of replacing drivers and rebooting, several times - it
may be better to reinstall.

What I have not seen is a listing of what features each HW version has.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.