Re: [opensuse] windows 98 emulation
"Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> írta:
On 2014-01-16 17:02, Istvan Gabor wrote:
Hello:

I would like to run windows 98 in in my openSUSE 12.2 in a virtual
environment.

Unfortunately Virtualbox is useless for emulating windows 98 (terribly slow,
graphics glitches, guest OS support can not be installed).

Nay, use vmware player.

I have installed vmware player linux 64 bit version 6.01.
The installation was very smooth and fast.

There was one problem: I could not make sound work.
According to the manual I have to download a driver for a Sound Blaster PCI 128
card.

I downloaded this file:

---------------------------
"File Name : SBPCI128Setupus_w9x.exe
This is a new stand-alone driver release of Sound Blaster PCI128 for users
running on Windows 9x only.

This release was tested on Sound Blaster Audio PCI (Model CT475x) and includes
the Creative Minidisc Center patch. It is WHQL certified and will detect the
Operating System language and install the relevant language drivers."
---------------------------

I cannot copy/paste the download site/page since it is not a static page.

I copied the file onto windows 98 desktop by drag/drop method.

When I run the installer it start but at some point the blue error window comes
up.
The emulated windows is not frozen but slows down and the driver is not
recognized.
During the installation "new hardware found" windows popped up (for PCI system
and USB system) but I clicked cancel on these.

I tried other installer files without success, eg:

New driver release for the PCI 128 sound cards models CT4750 & CT4751
Filesize : 1.98 MB Download Hide Details
Release date : 5 Jan 01
File Name : SBPCI128Setupus.exe

Any hint on this?

I will try vmware player on my other systems too.

Thanks,

Istvan