Re: [opensuse] Re: rsync causes oS 13.1 to freeze
On 01/16/2014 12:39 AM, Linda Walsh wrote:

How old is your computer? Do you know if it came with
USB3.0 or USB2.0 ports?

(USB3 only in past 2-3 years at most).

If you really want to use your USB3 disk, from what Greg says,
you might want to invest in a USB3 card for your computer -- then the USB3
disk can use the "efficient" USB3 port instead of an inefficient USB2
port.

Note, rsync has a "--bwlimit=RATE" [try 1M as a test value, if system is too
slow, try 500K or lower, if system is fine and transfer is too slow try 2M and
go higher...?].

to tell if your system has a USB 3.0 device, an easy to use tool
looks like the usbview (usbview-2.0-2.1.3.x86_64)...

running it allows you to see what USB port your disk
is mounted on and to see the speed of the USB "Host Controller"

Mine say 12Mb/s or 480Mb/s (USB1.1 or USB2.0) -- I don't have
any USB3.0 devices, so can't tell you what they would say.

(if you need to install usbview, might try "zypper in usbview" as root.
____________

- thanks : have now installed usbview : neat : tells me Controller is usb 2

usbview output :
_____________

External USB 3.0
Manufacturer: Intenso