Re: [opensuse] rsync causes oS 13.1 to freeze
On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 12:36 PM, ellanios82 <ellanios82@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 01/15/2014 05:00 PM, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:

El 15/01/14 10:34, ellanios82 escribió:

Hello List,

- occasionally rsync causes oS 13.1 to freeze , necessitating turn off
power to reboot.

- the rsync instruction, leading to freeze is :

rsync -avr --delete --delete-after --exclude=/ /home/ /mnt

Did anyone experience similar event?

There may be many causes.. an IO flood is a likely cause, or a kernel
bug.. what does "dmesg" says ?

____________

thanks all : yes intent is to back-up /home to another disk mounted on /mnt

dmesg : my understanding is not sufficient to spot logged cause : there are
991 lines of dmesg !

Is your destination USB2 or USB3? If USB3, is it both the device and
the port that are USB3?

I'm not positive about this, but based on using them it seems USB2 is
a polled / non-interrupt driven technology and USB3 is interrupt
drive. That means USB2 is extremely CPU intensive to use it and the
rest of your PC suffers to a large extent.

USB3 seems far more usable and I don't see the massive overall PC
degradation when it is in use. I assume therefore it is interrupt
driven.

A quick google and review of docs implies USB2 is interrupt driven for
slow devices like keyboards / mice (HID devices), but not for fast
devices like disks.

Regardless, if you are currently using USB2 and you have a USB3 disk
handy, I would try it and see if you see the same performance impact.

Greg