Re: [opensuse] openSUSE + gpsd + PPS + NTP
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 09:14:17 +0100
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 08:32:42 AM Per Jessen wrote:

Anyway, assuming that your GPS device is able to notify the system
when it has a stable time signal, it ought not be a big deal to
trigger a set-time command of that event.

So, on openSUSE (the reason we are discussing it here), could it be
that I should make a separate system service that:

1. Waits for the GPS to get sat fix

2. Sets the PC time accordingly. This brings the time to within a
couple seconds of being accurate.

3. Exits. This should only be done once.

That is probably what I would do, yes. It's not the most elegant, but
it's an easy script to write:

while time-not-available; do sleep 1; done
set-time.

I guess it's only needed on boot-up? I.e. once the vehicle is on the
road, the GPS time is always available or only sporadically
unavailable?

How will ntp (as started by default in openSUSE) respond to this time
change that was done while it was running?

Using 'ntpd -q -g' to set the time, there should be no problem, but it's
easily tested. I've just tried it on a test-system, but because the
system is currently running ntpd sync'ed to DCF77, I don't see any
effect :-(

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (1.2°C)