Re: [opensuse] openSUSE + gpsd + PPS + NTP
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 21:57:56 +0100
John Andersen wrote:

On 1/14/2014 12:25 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
John Andersen wrote:

On 1/14/2014 12:17 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
Do US GPS satellites really supply GMT ???

Wiki seems to think so,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System#Timekeeping
but I haven't actually looked at the message format in a while.

GPS != GMT. I have the same problem occasionally, I read what I want
to read, not what is actually written :-)

But there is still a difference.

Splitting hairs, aren't we?

GMT is simply the time in Greenwich, as kept by the
British Naval Observatories atomic clocks.

"was", not "is". There are no British Naval Observatories in operation
anymore, they're all museums.

UTC is a calculated value based on the structure of the
planet, its un-even rotation, and a whole bunch of
esoteric minutia.

Right.

Now days, GMT is no longer scientifically defined, it use
to be defined at noon in Greenwich, but that varies
quit a bit.

As such GMT is essentially simply synced with
UTC these days, but it is still actually different.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwich_Mean_Time

Is there an official source of GMT ? Just curious.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (2.6°C)