Re: [opensuse] Blu Ray Copying
On 09/01/14 09:10, Jim Sabatke wrote:
I hope this is an appropriate subject for this list. I have an idea to buy a large disk array with a high speed USB card for my desktop and copy my Blu Ray disk collection to the disks and then have the desktop serve them to my media center.

I have researched this on Google and it seems possible, but I've tried so many things that people say work and it turns out they don't, and I can't afford to make a mistake.

If anyone would know if this can be done considering the copy protection on the disks I would appreciate any insights. I am already doing this with DVDs that are NOT copy protected by copying each DVD to its own directory. I haven't worked out how to serve them to any of my A/V media yet, but I can use kaffeine. I know there are boxes for accessing media over networks though devices like Roku.

Any info and experiences would be very welcomed.

Thanks,

Jim

If you want hassle-free handling of the type of media you mention above, firstly you need to have Windows installed - forget about anything-Linux which will only give you diarrhoea and a head-full of grey hair (oh, one exception to this: k3b) - and then invest in 2 applications:

DVDFab; and

DVDFab Media Player 2

Both will handle any Bd disc, or whatever, 'thrown' at them.

See all details on their website.

How do I know? A friend who uses them told me.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4.12.0 & kernel 3.12.7-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor