[opensuse] openSUSE + gpsd + PPS + NTP
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 09:51:34 +0100
Hi

Is anyone using a GPS (gpsd) with the PPS signal as a time source for NTP?

My main interest is how such systems are acting at system boot. We have a
mobile measurement system that syncs time using home brewed software. We would
like instead to use the standard tools.

Our main question is how the system acts if, at boot, there is no GPS data. Is
the time left alone? When the time does arrive, how quickly will the system
clock reflect the time? For example, it may turn out that the PC clock and the
GPS time differ by some hours. Does NTP always do a gradual time shift? Can
that be disabled? These systems are booted a couple times a day.

Any other things to consider?

TIA for any experiences.

--
Yours sincerely,