Re: [opensuse] general thoughts on 13.1?
Philippe Andersson wrote:
I tracked it down in the end to the Lightning component of Thunderbird.
I noticed a similar behaviour here: when I run "compact" on my inbox
folder in Thunderbird (800 MB on an MS Exchange server over IMAP), my
laptop is also heavily impacted by it (very perceptible sluggishness
during the whole operation, complete "freeze" for a couple seconds at
the end of it).

I run my own IMAP server and IIRC, with IMAP you don't have to compact.
However, I was also running the server on 11.x where this problem didn't
occur. When I am able to run top, it doesn't show anything as taking a
huge amount of CPU, but the disk is extremely busy.