[opensuse] Re: I don't know how to make bluetooth work in 13.1 - text mode
On Sun 12 Jan 2014 08:14:25 PM CST, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2014-01-12 17:34, Malcolm wrote:
On Sun 12 Jan 2014 04:09:24 PM CST, Carlos E. R. wrote:

I'm trying to find a way for xfce users, who do not have the gnome
pattern installed, to use bluetooth in 13.1

And apparently it doesn't exist.

Install blueman then... from the Akoellh repo
http://software.opensuse.org/package/blueman?search_term=blueman
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?project=home%3AAkoellh&package=blueman

Interesting idea.

[...]

Whoa! Wait. It brings in "hal" as a dependency (from the KDE3 repo),
and I'm not ready to bring that again into my system.

Mmm... it seems to be a soft dependency, so I can try without 'hal'.

[...]

Ok, I installed blueman, but it does not work, or I don't know how.

There is no documentation directory. There are some man pages, but
those I looked at are empty. Well, not really empty, just a stub.

There is a blueman-applet, but when I try to start it, I get a message
that it is already running - yet there is no icon on my panel. I remove
and insert again the usb-bt dongle, no change.

I have tried "blueman-manager", which runs on the terminal displaying
many messages, but produces no GUI.

I have tried blueman-assistant, which crashes.

I have tried blueman-services, which opens a configuration dialog, but
nothing I can use: Audio and network tabs, another for "transfer",
empty. Nothing for pairing devices.

I have tried blueman-browse, which just changes the mouse icon to a
cross, and does nothing else.

I have tried blueman-adapters, which produces a very small and empty
dialog with a close button.

This leads nowhere. Perhaps it does indeed require the ancient "hal",
but that is something I absolutely refuse to install. It can be another
can of worms I prefer to leave unopened.

Sigh... :-(

Sounds like it might be time to visit the XFCE folks.....

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.2 Kernel 3.11.6-4-desktop