Re: [opensuse] Video Regression from 11.1 to 12.3 with Radeon 7000
On 01/12/2014 01:26 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
On 01/07/2014 09:48 PM, Larry Stotler wrote:
I've done a great deal of searching & I can't seem to find a useful solution.

I finally got around to getting my old 11.1 install running on my
Thinkpad A30p with Radeon Mobility 7000. With 12.3, The video
performance is slow, and I can't get MPlayer to play a video at all.
With 11.1, I can play an x264 480p video with no problem. The laptop
has a Tualatin P3/1.2Ghz & 1GB RAM.

I've found all kinds of suggestions, like turning off KMS or creating
an xorg.conf file and changing accelmethod from EXA to XXA. Turning
off DRI made no differnce.

Larry,

As I mentioned in my quick reply to your last thread. I suspect the issue is
due to the fglrx driver no longer being available for your card. It was in the
11.1 timeframe IIRC in the move from Xorg 7.2 to 7.3 where ATI dropped support
for all 1600 (1800?) and earlier graphics cards. If you check on your 11.1
install (if you still have it available) I suspect your will find that your
were
using the proprietary ATI driver:

[21:19 zephyr/home/david] # lsmod | grep fglrx
fglrx 1818912 23
agpgart 50868 2 fglrx,ati_agp

The difference between the fglrx driver and the standard radeon/radeonHD
driver is "orders of magnitude" in performance. With the fglrx driver,
kde+compiz would spin the cube like a top, without the fglrx driver, you could
watch paint dry waiting for the cube to appear.

If that is the issue, then the stock radeon (or radeonHD) will be your only
option -- as well as the performance that comes with it. Search the archives
here and on the factory list for 'fglrx' and you will find a dissertation on
the
Xorg versions as well as the date/time and models affected.

I have a couple of laptops in that category with ATI Mobility chipsets:

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 [Mobility Radeon
9600 M10]

The stock radeon driver gives decent performance, it is just a hell of a lot
slower than with fglrx.

As an alternate point of information, my older radeon X1400
(aka rv505) is supported by the community redeon driver as is the
Mobility 7000 (ala rs250).

I'm using the Xorg packages from
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/XOrg/openSUSE_12.3/
There are equivelent directories for 13.1, etc.

It provides Xorg 7.6, as well a updated community drivers for ATI.
This version supports the desktop cube switching mode very well without
FGLRX. But I don't run compiz version of that. Wobbly windows also
works. In fact I can run with most of the bling turned on without problems.

So if you are running the stock xorg for your distro, you might want
to try adding the above repository and setting vendor change on for
that.

--
Explain again the part about rm -rf /