Re: [opensuse] I don't know how to make bluetooth work in 13.1 XFCE
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 18:55:35 -0500
On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 6:35 PM, John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 1/10/2014 3:32 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
Basically that thread says Gnome should work. KDE is being worked on
and at least in August they didn't even have a plan for the other DEs.
I don't know of any ongoing effort to fix bluetooth for anything but
KDE.

Not to reopen an old wounds, but why was Bluez adopted and bluedevil dropped
if the development was in such a sorry state?

As I understand it:

bluedevil wasn't dropped. It sits on top of bluez. bluez 5 has been
out for a year, so it is relatively mature. Gnome updated to use it 6
or so months ago. bluedevil is in the final stages of being updated.
The opensuse devs thought fedora 20 coming out in december would drive
the bluedevil devs to get it done before fedora 20 came out, thus they
expected an updated bluedevil by early Dec.

Unfortunately bluedevil is only used by KDE, so even after it is
updated, the rest of the DEs won't have bluez5 support.

I'm surprised the bluez4 based bluetooth stack isn't still in OBS for
13.1 for those that want to use DEs other than Gnome / KDE.

Greg