Re: [opensuse] general thoughts on 13.1?
On 2014-01-10 13:56, James Knott wrote:

Well, I can try. But as I mentioned, when this happens, I can't do
anything. Also, why should updating any database be such a performance
hit? Shouldn't that sort of activity be given a low priority?

Yes.

But for some reason it affects some machines way more than others. In
mine, I can do heavy tasks like recoding a dozen videos, using all cpu
cores, plus reading and writing from disks, do not make my computer that
slugish.

Or an rsync backup.

But crawling the entire filesystem looking for file names (locate
update), or certain cron jobs, even running at low priority, taxes the
system more.

There is an utility, 'cpulimit', that might be useful to mitigate the
issue. Another is 'ionice'. Probably more useful than 'nice'.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.