Re: [opensuse] general thoughts on 13.1?
On Thu, 09 Jan 2014 22:06:49 -0500
James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

George Olson (SUSE list) wrote:
But I am curious to know from those of you who have done the upgrade -
are you overall pleased with 13.1? I liked 12.3, but I also like to try
and keep things up to date by regularly updating when a new version is
out. Anyone have any "big picture" tips specifically directed at what to
watch out for with 13.1, besides what may be on the "most annoying bugs"
web page?

One issue I've noticed with both 12.x and 13.1 is occasionally, there's
something generating a lot of disk activity and pretty much locking up
the system for a few minutes. If I am able to get to a console session
and run top, I don't see anything hogging the performance. I just had
it about 10 minutes ago and I couldn't do anything for a few minutes.
This, by the way, is currently on a fresh install with little more than
24 hours on it.

Hi James,
Have you opened task manager to see what is taking up so much cpu time? In
many cases it's tracker or nepomuk updating their respective databases.

Tom

--
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world, and moral
courage so rare.

^^^^
Tom Taylor - retired penguin - KG7CFC
AMD Phenom II x4 955 -- 4GB RAM -- 2x1.5TB sata2
openSUSE 13.1_RC2-x86_64
KDE 4.11.12, FF 24.0, claws-mail 3.9.2
registered linux user 263467